JOURNAL ONE

                                              WEEK #5


Journal 1   
  
     The beginning of freshman year I decided I wanted to be a volunteer. there was many places to 

volunteer, but I decided to volunteer at Marian Regional Center. After school, my mother took me to get

 the application paperwork. The application papers consisted of three letters of recommendation,

 immunization records, a paragraph on why I wanted to become a volunteer at Marian Regional Center.

 That same day I went to go get the paperwork my mom took me to El Camino to get my three letters of

 recommendations from my eighth and seventh grade teachers. I soon filled out all the paperwork I 

needed to turn in and the next day my mom took me to the hospital to go turn the papers in at the 

Volunteer office. The lady at the front desk that I turned the paper in said that they would call the 

number I put down on my application to call me in for an interview. About a week and a half later when

 my mom picked me up from school she told me they had called and I had the interview that same 

week. Everything went amazing in my interview and they gave me the date for orientation day and told

 me I had to take 20 dollars to buy my uniform. Orientation day came and I kept thinking about it all

 school day. Once I got to the hospital, I saw a lot of people my age waiting for the office ladies to come

 out and greet us. The office ladies soon came out and greeted us and we went into the volunteer office 

one by one and paid for our uniform. Orientation day was great and we had to write down our name for

 training on our floor. It was now training day and we met Candy who was our leader for training day. 

We finished training and were told the following week we'd be starting our services. 
 

Journal 2 
      Throughout my years in school, elementary, junior high, and high school I've had many ideas of 

what I wanted to be when I grew up At first, I wanted to become a teacher. I wanted to become a 

teacher because I liked teaching and I would love to help others out and teach them new things they 

can use in life. Overtime, I started to drift away from wanting to become a teacher and I started showin 

interest towards the medical field. I soon figured out I wanted to become a nurse. I started researching 

things about the medical field and discovered that there are many positions in that field. I figured out

 my two most favorite positions was a registered nurse or a labor and delivery nurse. Since I am a 

volunteer at Marian Regional Center and volunteer on the third floor which is the labor and delivery

 floor. I see how the nurses help out the post partum ladies and help them out with their babies. In 

general, I want to become a nurse because although you have to work 12 hour shifts the most important

 part is that nurses are helping our community and helping take care of the sick. As  a nurse I will also 

be able to gain experience and see life come to this earth, but unfortunately I will also have to see 

people leave this earth. 

Journal 3
     What do I do as a volunteer at Marian??? As most people know when you volunteer you do not get 

paid, that is why it is call volunteering because you are doing it willingly without expecting anything in

 return. I volunteer on Tuesdays, but due to this Pandemic we are now on a break and will come back 

once everything is settled down. When I arrive to the hospital I have to be in a uniform. The uniform 

consists of black jeans and a black long sleeve shirt with the smock. A smock is like a jacket that 

doctors wear. Every time we come to the hospital we need to have our badge, which gives us access to 

all doors of the hospital. We go inside the volunteer office and we are greeted by our "bosses" and have 

to sign in the computer. We have to get the the hospital 15 minutes early because we need to be on our 

floor 10 minutes before our actual shift starts. When I get to my floor I am either by myself or my 

volunteer friends are already there. I put my stuff down and start wiping the seats ad chairs and go to 

the restroom before my actual shifts starts. At the front desk the only thing we do is write down the

 room number someone is visiting and how many people are visiting at one time and we then open the 

door with a button under our desk. On a day that the hospital isn't as easy we usually go at 4:10 to hand

 out snacks to the new mothers and go to the desk of the nurses to see if they have anything for us to do

 such as going down to the basement to get supplies, or going to another floor for wheel chairs, and 

sometimes they have nothing for us to do. I then do homework until 5 and at 5 I head down to the 

cafeteria for my break. When I get back up sometimes we have to discharge someone and usually I take

 care of that. Discharging someone is when they are ready to go home ad we have to take them down in

 a wheel chair to where a family member is waiting for them. Sometimes we have to go all the way to 

the old hospital building, but we usually discharge people in the new building. After we discharge

 someone, we get to our floor and put on gloves and get wipes to clean up the wheel chairs and put the

 chairs where they belong. Then at around 7:00 pm an hour before our shift ends we have to go to 

rooms and pick up the dinner trays and hand out the second round of snacks. Before we leave, we have 

to make sure the volunteer desk is nice and clean for the volunteers who will arrive the next morning. 

Comments

Popular Posts